Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Quench not the Spirit
As I was praying this morning I began reflecting on how I ate yesterday. Which led to confessions about how I ate yesterday. Which led to the verse that led to this post. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I gorged myself, but I did make an unwise food choice, and then had too much on top of that. So in my prayer I began asking the Lord to help me make better choices today. And I had to admit to Him that I knew He was helping me yesterday, and all the times in the past.... I just didn't listen. After all, we are not puppets for God to play with, moving our hands and feet to go in the right direction. He will guide us down the right path, but it's up to us to follow Him. That little voice inside telling me that, "I shouldn't be eating that", should be listened to. Not only because that voice is correct, but because it's the voice of God... the Holy Spirit. I had to ask myself, am I making way too much of this? After all, does God care if I eat that extra slice of pizza, or have potato chips instead of an apple? But the answer that came to mind wasn't as simple as which diet God approves of. The answer was this... Obedience. If the Holy Spirit is telling me to do, or not to do, something and I don't listen, I have just quenched His voice. I Th. 5:19 says, "Quench not the Spirit." This is the point that really hit home with me.... if I am willing to quench the Spirit in something as small as what I put in my mouth, then what else will I be willing to ignore? If God can not trust me to listen and obey with small things, then He may not trust me in the bigger things. I need to begin gaining His trust by showing Him that I can obey... in everything. I want to be used by Him, in all areas of my life. I just need to start acting like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good reminder for me!!
Thanks for these words. They really spoke to my heart. Your obedience and sweet spirit have really been a big blessing to me!:o)
Amen, yes Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe, you cannot please God without being obedient to him. Hugs and blessings, Barbara
Post a Comment